Boy, do I love a good picnic! I’ve set up picnics in a park, on a roof, on a TV set… and even though, yes, it’s a little effort to take your kitchen items into a field, park etc., it’s just so fun, festive and romantic to spread out a big blanket, drink some wine and enjoy delicious picnic fare.
Which brings me to “The Big Sandwich”… Inspired by a brick pressed sandwich, this beauty is a full fledged meal in itself. Of coarse no picnic would be complete without sides, but with The Big Sandwich you really only need a few- and dessert of coarse (cookies, obviously!).
The fun twist is the giant ring of seeded bread I used to construct it- you can find bread like this at an authentic Italian deli- you know the ones!
Here’s the rest of the play by play- my mouth is watering already!
Mash, or puree roasted garlic cloves (using store bought peeled garlic, add olive oil to cover, s&p- bake covered for approx. 20 minutes in the oven) to make a spread. Spread on both sides of the bread. Begin layering sundried tomatoes, peppers and olives onto scooped side of bread.
Next up it the key ingredient- mozzarella or “mutz” as they call it in my favorite deli in Hoboken, Vito’s. This deli has been around for generations and they are famous for their mutz but you can buy wet mozzarella pretty much any gourmet store as well.
Next up the meat layer! Note: you can easily make this sandwich vegetarian by substituting the meat for roasted eggplant or fresh tomatoes.
While the sandwich was “marinating”, we moved onto the rest of our menu and picnic prep.
For this July 4th a few years ago, our fabulous picnic was rained out… but we didn’t let that stop us!
- We just spread out our blanket on the floor and got to picnic-ing…
- Here’s the rest of the juice on Our Favorite Summer Picnic Menu
- • Tamara’s Spinach Dip & Farmer’s Market Crudite
• Broccoli Rabe (We are Italian so this is our go-to, but regular broccoli or any veggie that can be served room temp is great!)
• Rocky Ledge Bars (The most delicious twist on a blondie)
• SDB Sugar Cookies (Theme appropriate, in this case it was July 4th, Sweet Dani B style highly recommended!)
- I hope you enjoy The Big Sandwich as much as I do- here’s to picnic season! Get out there and enjoy and Happy 4th! Xo Dani